Valentine’s Day is a time for showing your loved ones how much you care, but certain treats can be dangerous and toxic to your furry friends. Celebrate a pet-friendly Valentine’s Day by keeping these common toxins away from your pet.
Valentine’s Treats to Avoid:
- Roses – Although the flower itself won’t seriously poison your pet (beyond an upset stomach), the thorns can cause trauma to the mouth and paws. Look out for signs of vomiting,diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain, discomfort, drooling and reduced appetite. These are all signs that your pet may have found its way to your Valentine’s Day roses.
- Lilies – Lilies can be used as an alternative to Valentine’s Day roses. However, lilies are extremely toxic to your pets. They can cause acute kidney failure within one to two days of exposure in cats.
- Chocolates – Chocolate and cocoa contain a chemical called theobromine. This ingredient is highly toxic to both dogs and cats. The darker the chocolate is, the more theobromine the candy contains. Semi-sweet and dark chocolate are toxic to pets, while white chocolate has very little theobromine.
- Chocolate Covered Raisins – Not only is chocolate likely to cause a stomach problem, pets are sensitive to both grapes and raisins. Even if your pet ingests just a small number of grapes or raisins, it’s considered an emergency.
- Xylitol – While the name xylitol might not seem familiar to you, xylitol is a common sweetener. Many colorful Valentine’s Day candies, sugar-free cakes and muffin mixes contain Xylitol. When ingested, xylitol can cause a life-threatening drop in blood sugar, as well as liver damage.