These Common Household Items are Positively Lethal to your Pets!

Warmer
weather is coming & that means calls to the Animal Poison Control Center
are going to spike to as many as 800 per day. Because of this, March 20-26th
is National Animal Poison Prevention Week and we are raising awareness and
educating pet owners as to avoid accidents this summer.

If
you suspect that your pet has ingested a poisonous substance, you need to
respond immediately. The effects of ingestion will not be instant; it depends
on the substance, but for some it could take up to 20 minutes before you notice
a reaction. 

Some
tips to keep your pets safe:

1.      Make sure herbicides,
fertilizers, and pesticides are kept away in a secure place. 

2.      If you spend time outdoors
and your pet comes in contact with a plant that you cannot identify, take a
photo and upload it to this Facebook group that identifies plants:

3.      Keep chocolate away in a
drawer. Large amounts can be lethal to dogs and cats. Chocolate is the #1
reason for calls to the Animal Poison Control Center.

4.      Write the phone number
for your veterinarian and the Animal Poison Control Center on a sticky note and
put it on the refrigerator or another place that’s easy to access in case of
emergency.

5.      Educate yourself on what
foods could be toxic to your pets:

a       
Alcoholic
drinks, certain mushrooms, chocolates, grapes, raisons, star fruit, aspartame,
chives, onions, coffee and caffeine.

Call
your veterinarian immediately if you suspect anything, or if it’s after hours,
call the Animal Poison Control Center. When it comes to your pet, you don’t
want to take any chances. A professional can give you advice and direction as
to whether or not you need to take action or if your pet is okay.

Stay
safe, get smart, and don’t hesitate to call if you suspect! 

Recent Posts