THE BREGMAN VETERINARY GROUP
It’s not always easy to know what your cat is thinking. They tend to be masters at disguising any signs that they aren’t feeling well. While we always recommend bringing your pet in for a visit if you notice any unusual symptoms, there are a few ways to identify common skin problems and their causes at home.
Common Skin Problems:
- Swelling – The most common cause of swelling is an abscess. A small bump or lesion can mask a large pocket of debris under the skin. If your cat shys away from your touch, the swelling may be causing pain. Bring them in for a visit to have the swelling checked out.
- Sores – Red lesions on the face or ears that do not resolve on their own may be due to a viral, fungal, or bacterial infection. Other less persistent sores can be caused by allergies.
- Hair Loss – Fleas and allergies are the most common causes of hair loss in cats. With an evaluation and test, we can determine which is causing your pet’s hair loss.
- Allergies – Seasonal allergies and food allergies are both a concern in pets. With an allergy test or an elimination diet, we can determine the cause of your pet’s allergy.
- Flaky Skin – Omega-3 fatty acids play an important role in keeping your cat’s skin healthy. Your cat may benefit from a diet or supplement with additional fatty acids to make sure they are getting the necessary nutrients.
Follow us on social media for more pet care tips!