What Should You Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate?


Chocolate is one of the most common pet poisons in the home.  In certain quantities, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythm, and more.  

If you come home and find that your dog has gotten into your candy stash – don’t panic.  Here are the steps you should take.

What To Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate:
  1. Take the Chocolate Away –  First, hide the rest of the chocolate.  You’ll want to keep the chocolate far away from your dog so that they don’t eat any more. 
  2. Check Your Dog – Make sure that your dog is acting normally.  Look to see if they are gagging or having difficulty breathing.
  3. Take Note of the Chocolate – How much chocolate did your dog eat?  What kind of chocolate was it?  Dark chocolates and baking chocolates have higher concentrations of the ingredient (theobromine) that is toxic to dogs.  
  4. Consider the Size of Your Dog – If you have a smaller dog, they are at a greater risk of toxicity than a larger dog.
  5. Give Our Office a Call – Speak with a veterinarian to discuss the best course of action for your pet. Depending on how much chocolate your pet ate, the type of chocolate, and your breed of dog, we can recommend an appropriate treatment.
If you have any questions or you find that your pet has ingested chocolate, contact one of our offices below:

The Cat Hospital

5th Avenue Cat Clinic

Paws and Claws Veterinary Hospital

Don’t forget to connect with us on social media!

Recent Posts